During professional tooth cleaning, the teeth are cleaned intensively by one of our experienced dentists using special techniques and equipment. The removal of plaque and debris in this way has been proven to reduce the risk of tooth decay and periodontal disease.In addition, professional teeth cleaning removes discoloration caused by coffee, black tea, or smoking, as well as plaque and tartar.Modern powered and hand instruments are used in the process. Theseensure tooth surfaces, interdental spaces, and the gum lineare not damaged. Before the start of treatment, we perform a comprehensive assessment of the current tooth condition and discuss the upcoming treatment with you.
The steps of professional tooth cleaning
- Removal of plaque & tartar: First, the hard and soft deposits are removed with the help of hand instruments such as scalers and curettes. The instruments are specially shaped for their cleaning purpose and are particularly sharp for the precise removal of plaque and tartar.
- Removal of soft plaque & discoloration: The soft and fine residues of the dental plaque as well as stubborn discoloration, especially in the interdental spaces, are removed with water jet action, and then dried using an air jet
- Polishing the teeth: The final step is the polishing of the teeth. Exposed tooth necks and fine damage to the tooth substance are also sealed so that a smooth, clean surface is achieved.
The advantages of professional teeth cleaning
Periodic professional teeth cleaning prevents the formation of caries and periodontitis, which can ultimately prevent serious dental problems that lead to expensive treatments. Even with patients who already have fixed dentures, professional teeth cleaning can extend the life of the existing crowns, bridges, or other implants.
There are also cosmetic advantages because habits such as smoking or the excessive drinking of coffee and other colored beverages cause stubborn discoloration and plaque, most of which can be effectively removed through professional teeth cleaning. Other advantages include:
- Prevention of tooth decay and gum disease
- Extension of the service life of dental prostheses
- Removal of stubborn stains
- Helps to get rid of unpleasant bad breath
How often should you go for professional teeth cleaning?
We recommend that professional tooth cleaning be done once or twice a year.For people who already suffer from advanced caries or periodontal disease, it makes sense to undergo professional teeth cleaning more often, up to three to four times a year. To schedule an appointment for professional tooth cleaning by one of our experienced dentists, give us a call today.